When I think of October, fall leaves, chilly weather and pumpkin loafs at Starbucks are just a few things that come to mind. But probably the most important and recognizable thought about the month of October is (and always will be) Breast Cancer Awareness month. There are so many ways to help support the fight against breast cancer, whether it’s participating in an athletic fundraiser, donating money to an organization or buying products that support various charities, everyone can contribute to the fight. But the most beneficial thing you can start doing, is performing a breast self-exam monthly. 40 percent of diagnosed breast cancers are actually detected by women who feel a lump so it’s important not to wait until your next GYN or mammogram appointment.
I believe makeup is pretty powerful. It can transform your day, give you a new look and above all, make you feel (and look) good. That’s why I’ve rounded up my favorite makeup, skincare and beauty tools that will benefit you, your sister, your mother, your daughter, your girl friend and even a breast cancer charity. Here are my top 8 Breast Cancer Awareness beauty buys.
1. China Glaze United in Purpose Breast Cancer Awareness collection, $7 each.
2. Yankee Candle Breast Cancer Awareness Candle in Mandarin Cranberry, $15.99. A “light of hope to those affected by the disease,” Yankee Candle supports the National Breast Cancer Foundation.
3. Stila Courage & Beauty Palette, $16. Five pretty in pink shades for your eyes and a convertible color lip and cheek stain. A portion of proceeds benefit The Breast Cancer Research Foundation.
4. Alterna Caviar Overnight Hair Rescue, $15. A must-have treatment for color-treated tresses, 5 percent of the proceeds will be donated to the NBCF.
5. Philosophy Shower for the Cure, $20. Philosophy’s classic shampoo, bath and shower gel concoction is back in a limited edition, “she is unforgettable” scent.
6. Smashbox Be Legendary Lipstick in Inspiration, $19. Smashbox will donate $5 from your purchase to the BCRF.
7. Tweezerman Breast Cancer Awareness Slant Tweezer, $20. Don’t let unwanted hairs get you bent out of shape. For every product sold, $1 will be donated to Susan G. Komen For the Cure.
8. Estee Lauder Perfectionist Serum, $65. With each purchase, Estee Lauder will donate 20 percent of the retail price to the BCRF.